Brrrrr! Baby it’s cold outside!

THIS IS ANOTHER RE-POST FROM MY WORDPRESS BLOG.  I'M TRYING TO TRANSFER EVERYTHING OVER TO THIS BLOG.  

We started our Winter unit and we have been hit by the cold weather here in Washington.  Today it was 29 degrees!  This went perfect with one of my new centers.  As many of you know one of my favorite areas in the classroom is the drama area.  I love to get creative and provide the kids with a platform for their imagination!  So today I introduced our cold weather area with a hot cocoa stand :)
IMG_1804
The sign is from the Mailbox magazine and then I laminated it for durability.  I added a cash register and hot cocoa cups and Voila! We had a hot cocoa stand.
IMG_1805
I made  the hot cocoa by taking a Styrofoam cup placing brown felt in it and topping it with white pom poms for marshmallows.
IMG_1809
Now for the cold weather area I brought in scarves, mittens, gloves, and hats.  The kids loved dressing up and drinking their hot cocoa!
We are also starting a unit on “Mittens” so I strung the mittens and gloves across the hooks.  I placed Mitten related stories on top and I made a pretend washing machine for the mittens out of a cardboard box.  Well actually my daughter made most of it :)
IMG_1810
I just cut the door out, placed a sheet protector for the window and then decorated the box.  The kids place all of the gloves into the box, close the door, and shake it up.  Open the door and pull out the mittens/gloves one by one and match them.  Then they hang them to dry on the line.  This is great for gross and fine motor skills.  And of course you have counting, matching, identifying same and different, and colors as well.  This activity reaches many Pre-K benchmarks and is fun at the same time!

Here is a list of  the books that I placed on top of the shelf:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment